Welcome to Streams of Whiskey!

I am going, I am going, any which way the wind may be blowing,
I am going, I am going, where streams of whiskey are flowing.

10 April 2011

Vimy Ridge 94th Anniversary






I hate to admit it, but I didn't remember the anniversary of the Canadian assault on Vimy Ridge was coming up until midway through the first full week of April. So, my plans for the next design had to be delayed slightly since I can't not commemorate this date. And sure, that whole 'Vimy Ridge made us a nation' thing is just a myth, but the first time the Canadian Corps fought together is not, the victory is not, and the impact Vimy has had on defining our history is not. I feel like there should be the Canadian Red Ensign flying behind that bit of text. But I digress. The right hand is adapted from "The Ghosts of Vimy Ridge" by Will Longstaff (1931). The thumb is an approximation of the maple leaf that is on Canadian war graves. The left hand is text from the grave of a Canadian soldier (and others, I presume): "Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn." The thumb is just rows of crosses to pay homage to the killed and missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment